Equality objectives statement
At Portland School & Specialist College we welcome our duties under the Equality Act 2010. The school’s general duties, with regards to equality are:
- Eliminating discrimination.
- Fostering good relationships.
- Advancing equality of opportunity.
We will not discriminate against, harass or victimise any pupil, prospective pupil, or other member of the school community because of their:
- Religion or belief.
- Sexual orientation.
- Gender reassignment.
- Pregnancy or maternity.
Portland School aims to promote pupils’ spiritual, moral, social, and cultural development, with special emphasis on promoting equality, diversity and eradicating prejudicial incidents for pupils and staff. Our school is committed to not only eliminating discrimination, but also increasing understanding and appreciation for diversity.
Portland School is committed to promoting the welfare and equality of all it's staff, pupils and other members of the school community. To achieve this, the school has established the following objectives:
- Monitor the curriculum to ensure relevant content and good outcomes for all vulnerable groups.
- Implement effective academic and pastoral strategies to support all pupils in vulnerable groups.
- Ensure all pupils have access to quality first teaching, monitoring and quality assuring interventions for those in vulnerable groups.
Aims to eradicate discrimination
Portland School believes that a greater level of success from pupils and staff can be achieved by realising the uniqueness of individuals. Creating a prejudice-free environment where individuals feel confident and at ease is a commitment of the school. This environment will be achieved by:
- Being respectful.
- Always treating all members of the school community fairly.
- Developing an understanding of diversity and the benefits it can have.
- Adopting an inclusive attitude.
- Adopting an inclusive curriculum that is accessible to all.
- Encouraging compassion and open-mindedness.
We are committed to having a balanced and fair curriculum. We believe that our pupils should be exposed to ideas and concepts that may challenge their understanding to help ensure that pupils learn to become more accepting and inclusive of others. Challenging and controversial concepts will be delivered in a way that prevents discrimination, and instead promotes inclusive attitudes. We will also respect the right of parents to withdraw their children from classes which pose conflicts to their own beliefs.
Dealing with prejudice
Portland School does not tolerate any form of prejudice-related incident. Whether direct or indirect, we treat discrimination against all members of our school with the utmost severity. When an incident is reported, through a thorough reporting procedure, our school is devoted to ensuring appropriate action is taken and a resolution is put into place which is both fair and firm.
At Portland School, our pupils are taught to be:
- Understanding of others.
- Celebratory of cultural diversity.
- Eager to reach their full potential.
- Aware of what constitutes discriminatory behaviour.
The school’s employees will not:
- Discriminate against any member of the school.
- Treat other members of the school unfairly.
The school’s employee’s will:
- Promote diversity equality.
- Encourage and adopt an inclusive attitude.
- Lead by example.
Equality and dignity in the workplace
Portland School does not discriminate against staff with regards to their:
- Gender reassignment
- Marital or civil partner status
- Pregnancy or maternity
- Race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
- Religion or belief
- Sex or sexual orientation
Equality of opportunity and non-discrimination extends to the treatment of all members of the school community. All staff members are obliged to act in accordance will the school’s various policies relating to equality.
We will guarantee that no redundancy is the result of direct or indirect prejudice. All disciplinary procedures are non-prejudicial, whether they result in warnings, dismissal, or any other disciplinary action.
The Equality objectives above will be reviewed again in November 2024.